Monday, December 27, 2010

About Me...

I guess I will start with some info about me! I am currently 27 years old and live in the DFW metroplex. I am recently married (last March) to a wonderful and supportive husband who just had his 30th birthday.


I started this blog in order to keep up with my passion in life: Horses. I have been fascinated with horses for most of my life. I think I started asking for a horse for my birthday, Christmas, Mother's Day...you name it...when I was around 7 years old. I grew up riding a neighbor's horse affectionately named Killer. Obviously this was not the case. This horse was a big palomino gelding that wouldnt hurt a fly.


I started taking horseback riding lessons when I was around 11 years old. I rode at a pretty big barn in Flower Mound, Texas named Happy Horse Acres. This barn is still there, but re-named to Flower Mound Equestrian Center and under different management.


I learned basic horsemanship there and for my 12th birthday my parents bought me my first horse, Destiny. She was a lesson horse at the barn that had been purchased at an auction the year before. She was a beautiful grade (meaning "not registered") palomino mare and was around 7 or 8 years old. She stood 14.3 hands high. My parents didnt know much about horses, but they knew she was pretty and that was their main reasoning for purchasing her. She had several issues that I had to overcome, but thats another story.


I continued to ride for several more years after acquiring Destiny. I worked with a private trainer and we eventually moved Destiny from Happy Horse Acres to our house in Copper Canyon, Texas.


When I was 16, my parents bought my second horse, Dollar. He was a HUGE sorrel Appendix (Thoroughbred/Quarter Horse cross) gelding. He stood at 16.2 hands high and was build like a foundation Quarter Horse, very stocky.


Sadly, when I turned 17 and graduated high school, I had to sell them both due to lack of time. I was going to college and working a full time job and just didnt have the time to devote to them any more. Destiny was sold to a 13 year old girl and sadly Dollar was sold at an auction. A nice guy bought him to do some ranch work with.
This brings me to December 10th, 2010. This is the day that I picked up my new horse, Santana. She was bought in Decatur, Texas from a very generous woman who wanted the best for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment